Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Prayer of Martin Luther

O Thou, my God! Do Thou, my God, stand by me, against
all the world's wisdom and reason. Oh, do it! Thou must
do it! Yea, Thou alone must do it! Not mine, but Thine,
is the cause. For my own self, I have nothing to do with
these great and earthly lords. I would prefer to have peaceful
days, and to be out of this turmoil. But Thine, O Lord, is
this cause; it is righteous and eternal. Stand by me, Thou
true Eternal God! In no man do I trust. All that is of the
flesh and savours of the flesh is here of no account. God, O
God! dost Thou not hear me, O my God? Art Thou dead?
No. Thou canst not die; Thou art only hiding Thyself. Hast
Thou chosen me for this work? I ask Thee how I may be
sure of this, if it be Thy will; for I would never have thought,
in all my life, of undertaking aught against such great lords.
Stand by me, O God, in the Name of Thy dear Son, Jesus
Christ, who shall be my Defence and Shelter, yea, my
Mighty Fortress, through the might and strength of Thy Holy
Spirit. God help me. Amen.

Martin Luther (1483-1546)


No comments:

Post a Comment